subscribe: Posts | Comments

Don’t Make These Common Mistakes With Your Taxes

Comments Off on Don’t Make These Common Mistakes With Your Taxes
Don’t Make These Common Mistakes With Your Taxes

When you hurry catching up with the tax submission deadline, that is when you are committing a lot of errors in filing your return. These errors can impede the processing of your return, or worse, you will be subject to investigation by the International Revenue Service (IRS). While we are providing information, please consult a Fort Worth Tax Lawyer before proceeding with any advice or comments noted in the post below.

The IRS issued reminders of the most common mistakes in filling taxes. Here are some of them.

Incorrect Social Security Number. Make sure you encoded the right Social Security Numbers and double-check what you entered if it is the same as the numbers in the actual Social Security cards. If you can’t remember your kid’s SSNs, have their SS card with you or write it down so that you will not miss any single digit.

Incorrect Names. You obviously know how to spell your name correctly, right? But it can still go wrong when you are in a hurry and you become careless. What more if it is your spouse or your dependents’ name? Just to be safe, always put all the names needed as it appears on the SS card.  For instance, if your name appears backward on the SS card, that’s what you should write in your tax application. If you need to change the name, you need to contact SSA first and make the necessary changes before you fill-up information.

Mistakes in the calculation. The first two pages of the tax return will be mostly about numbers. Make sure that they are accurate. Double-check your entry because your math may not be exactly as it should be. You can use software or a tax professional to do the math for you if you are not that confident about your math skills.

Wrong Bank Account Numbers. If you will use a direct bank deposit for your refund, the processing will be fast and easy. That is if you will provide the right bank account numbers. So make sure you give the right bank account information. If you are not sure which one, consult your bank.

You Forget to Sign the Return. When you rush to send back the return, you forget to sign it. This actually tops the most common mistakes committed to filling tax returns according to IRS. Make sure you sign your return since an unsigned return is an invalid return. If you are filing a joint return, you and your spouse should both sign the return to make it valid.


Recent Posts